Monday 10 September 2012

Fry Sauce


I recently heard about ‘Fry Sauce’ on an episode of Man versus Food. Originating in Salt Lake City, and specific to the state of Utah, this ketchup-mayonnaise condiment is used in a number of ways, as a sauce in burgers, as a dip for fries and even as a dressing for salad. Although the bog standard version is simply one part ketchup to two parts mayonnaise, on the program it was mentioned that most burger joints have their own closely guarded recipes, with various additional bits and bobs.

Inspired, I knocked up my own version, and even if I say so myself, as a burger sauce or dip for fries, it's frigging superb. Tangy and spicy yet smooth. It’s very moreish, which is unfortunate, because as you’d expect from the lurid orangey-yellow colouring, it’s absolutely filthy and used indiscriminately will no doubt expand your waistline at a rate of knots. But whoever said burgers were healthy anyway, eh? Get stuck in.

Here’s my recipe: -

Dan’s Fry Sauce

Makes enough for 4 burgers

1 Tbs French’s classic yellow mustard
1 1/2 Tbs Heinz ketchup
2 Heaped Tbs Helmans mayonnaise
1 Tsp Colman’s English mustard
2 Heaped Tbs finely chopped gherkins or cornichons,
2 Dashes Tabasco
Dash Worcester sauce
Grind of Pepper

Method - Tres basic this one, just mix everything together in a small bowl.

The photo models a generous splurge of my fry sauce under a rather nice, thick, Donald Russell burger, and a not so great bun – I'd have preferred a brioche style, but it’s all I could lay my hands on.
Don’t judge me.

P.S.
If anyone bothers to make some and tries it as a salad dressing, I’d be interested to know if it works.

10 comments:

GaryW said...

Hi Dan
As a long term resident of the USA and eater of thousands of BBQ items, your sauce is perfect, albeit missing 2 taste essences of the States. a teaspoon of white vinegar and touch of celery seed.
Apart from that, you captured the taste perfectly. (Yes, I made your recipe (with gherkins) and would recommend it mightily.

Dan said...

GaryW - I'm impressed that you've made it and offered feedback already! Speedy work. Also flattered that as a US resident you approve. I'll give your suggestion of some celery seeds and white vinegar a try. Thanks.

Harriet said...

You can get something like this but without the ketchip in the Netherlands - I have a bottle in my fridge (in Bristol)! It's called Fritessaus and to me tastes like all the stuff they put in a MacDonald's hamburger apart from the burger and ketchup. I love it - that junk food flavour without having to actually eat MacDonald's!

Dan said...

Harriet - Never heard of Frittessaus but I can completely understand the attraction. To be honest, I love the sauce in a Big Mac...McDonald's recently revealed what's in it... Mayonnaise, pickle relish, yellow mustard, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. So not a million miles away from what I knocked up then.


James said...

Further to GaryW's comment, i use a teaspoon of the pickle juice from the gherkins, then liquidise it (so i can put it in a squeezy bottle, without the bits getting stuck!). Its particularly nice on a doner kebab...if you eat such things!

Lizzie said...

Oooh. This sounds like Big Mac sauce. Looovely.

Kris Margett said...

this sounds amazing. do you reckon that green tobasco would work instead of red tobasco? i can't take the chillies, neither can my wife

Dan said...

Kmargett - I can't see why not. But believe me, the proportion of Tabasco going in here won't make it taste hot in the slightest.

Richard Dixon said...

Hi Dan - only just stumbled upon this and was interested to see your recipe. I do a "version" of this with equal measures of a) Ketchup b) Mayonnaise c) Bicks "Sweet Green Relish"* and d) probably one third of the amount of horseradish. I'm now tempted to throw some US mustard and worcester sauce into the mix to see how that changes things!

*that you can get from the Canada store in London on Maiden Lane (http://www.bicks.ca/products_sub.aspx?pid=502)

Dan said...

Richard - Interesting, thanks for the comment. Never head of Bicks Sweet Green Relish, and the addition of horseradish sounds inspired.